Okay so my life is boring lately. Actually I’m sick and staying in plus it’s a negative 10 outside so who wants to be out doing anything? I have been thinking a lot about who I was last year at this time and who I am today. This all started because we had to review applicants for internship. It’s crazy to think that this time next year someone else will be in my spot and I will be off trying to get those post doc hours for licensure. Anyway, this time last year I was dating someone else, just finding out my tendon was torn, was a crazy mess defending my dissertation, and anxiously hoping to get interviews for internship. I’d say I’ve learned quite a bit, some funny and some not so funny but for those who care to read I thought I would post.
1. Relationships don’t have to be hard, if you find yourself beating your head over and over again maybe take a step back and realize you’re not compatible.
2. Some friends you can fight with for years, but then when its over you’re like sisters again. These are the friends that really matter.
3. It isn’t cold until its in the negatives, the rest of the time all that’s required is a jacket as soon as it hits 0 better start putting on the hat and gloves
4. Sometimes its true, when you let someone go if they come back to you then they’re yours (okay not okay with the owning language of this but you get the gist)
5. Any and every unhealthy food can be modified to include cauliflower or almost
6. Empathy can be hard when you’ve never been in that person’s situation and having empathy for someone who can’t have empathy for another is even harder (does anyone even follow that)
7. This too shall pass, for heaven’s sake I thought my life was horrible flying from place to place and interviewing and then sitting around anxiously awaiting where I would be going for internship. It passed I’m halfway through my internship
8. Sunsets and sunrise is pretty anywhere, but nothing compares to Alaska
9. If you see something in the road it could be a moose (haha doesn’t apply to non Alaskans)
10.If you tell an Alaskan you’ve never had something or never tried an activity be prepared to be gifted whatever you’ve never had or to have them suggest y’all go do whatever it is you haven’t done (and probably right away)
11.Take a risk, go beyond whats comfortable, you’ll never know what you’re missing out and you just might find what you were afraid of trying fits you perfectly
12.Bears are not that common to see in anchorage
13.Men in anchorage hunt women like they hunt animals “ you you’re a woman, you’re mine”
14.Most people in anchorage are trying to escape something if they weren’t born here, but sometimes this also means they just want connections with others
15.Malls aren’t necessary (omg I did not just say this!!!!! Online shopping is wonderful)
16.It is sometimes safer to pull out those figure skates and skate your way to work rather than drive
17.4 wheel drive is awesome
18.plowing is a luxury that the lower 48 rely on
19.I enjoy saying “they’re from the lower 48 and other such things”
That’s it for now. I’m too tried to think of more although I am sure there are plenty more. I’m posting some pictures I’ve taken so far since I got up here. Can’t believe it’s almost been half a year